Science tells us that a healthy lifestyle can boost immune function, lower stress, and improve sleep! At the YMCA of Greenville, we're working to keep you healthy - in spirit, mind and body.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IS ESSENTIAL
According to public health organizations, regular physcial activity supports your health in several ways:
- Boosts immune system by promoting good circulation that “allows the cells and substances of the immune system to do their job efficiently” 
- Helps maintain a healthy weight, while stregthening muscles and preventing loss of bone density 
- Combats cardiovascular disease and Type 2 Diabetes (reducing susceptibility to other illnesses) [1 & 2]
Need help starting a workout routine? Want to take your fitness to the next level? Click below for more info about how the Y can support you.
FUEL YOUR BODY, FUEL YOUR HEALTH
What we eat affects how our immune system reacts to diseases and infections:
- A deficiency of certain nutrients like zinc, iron, folic acid and certain vitamins can alter the body’s immune response and lead to a greater risk of bacterial, viral and other infections 
- Eating a diet consisting of mostly “ultra-processed foods” like sugary drinks, chips and luncheon meats can negatively affect a healthy immune system 
- Eating nutrient-rich foods (whole grains, chicken, nuts and leafy greens, etc.), can positively affect the immune system by working as an antioxidant to protect healthy cells, support immune cells and produce antibodies 
Want to learn more about how diet can support your health? Get started with our Nutrition Counseling program.
STRESS MANAGEMENT MEANS BETTER HEALTH
Staying mentally healthy can mean better immunity, and a stronger body:
- Long-term periods of unmanaged stress can lead to health problems like high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease 
- Negative stress can also suppress the immune system, increasing susceptibility to physical and mental illnesses, including colds, anxiety and depression 
- Studies have shown that having social support in your wellness journey helps reduce stress and decrease the effects of anxiety and depression 
Stay mentally strong, and get social support here at the Y! Check out these amenities that will keep you connected.