(Recreation, Education, Community, Exercise, Social and Service)
RECESS is a signature program of The YMCA of Greenville for post-high school adults with diverse abilities. The RECESS program was founded upon the 3 Pillars of the YMCA:
- Youth Development
- Healthy Living
- Social Responsibility
For the RECESS program, we added:
- Adult Development
- Social/Independent Living
During programming, participants learn about nutrition, fitness, social responsibility, community outreach, and independent living skills. RECESS allows adults with diverse abilities not only a place to continue to learn new skills, but also gives them a place to connect with friends and gain a sense of belonging.
Sharon DeFelice’s daughter, Amanda, was one of the pilot program’s participants. DeFelice said the program has given her daughter confidence to do daily tasks most adults do without any trouble. “Her adult body with a toddler mind offers her many frustrations, but with the program, she gained willingness and confidence,” DeFelice said.
**FALL 2020 PROGRAM UPDATE**
Following CDC and State guidelines, we have made some temporary changes to this fall's programming in the interest of participant and staff safety:
PROGRAM FORMAT: Participants attend 1 in-person class session per week (either on a Monday or Wednesday), and can also attend a virtual session each Friday. The Friday virtual sessions will be exercise classes led by Cynthia Wright.
LOCATION: All in-person classes will be held at Christian Assembly Upstate (2164 Wade Hampton Blvd.) We will not offer programming on-site at YMCA locations.
CLASS TIMES: In-person class sessions will start promptly at 9:00am, and end at 12:00pm. Participants may be dropped off beginning at 8:50am.
COST: This hybrid program has a cost of $20 per participant, per week.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SCREENING PROCEDURES
- All participants and staff will have their temperature taken upon arrival each day, and will complete a health screening questionnaire. Temperatures must be under 100.4 to enter the facility.
- We ask that all participants and staff wear masks.
- Group activities will be modified to respect social distancing standards.
- Classes will consist of a maximum of 12 participants and 2 staff, in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Participants will not share supplies during activities.
- Participants and staff will wash their hands routinely throughout the day.
- During drop-off and pick-up, we ask that parents remain in their vehicles and refrain from entering the building.
- If you need to pick up a participant early, please make prior arrangements with Rebekah Cunningham so staff are prepared.
***We ask that parents keep us informed if their participant has potentially been exposed to the virus, begins to exhibit symptoms, or tests positive for COVID-19.***
WEEK 1: Sept 21 - 25
WEEK 2: Sept 28 - Oct 2
WEEK 3: Oct 5 - 9
WEEK 4: Oct 12 - 16
WEEK 5: Oct 19 - 23
WEEK 6: Oct 26 - 30
WEEK 7: Nov 2 - 6
WEEK 8: Nov 9 - 13
WEEK 9: Nov 16 - 20
WEEK 10: Nov 30 - Dec 4
WEEK 11: Dec 7-11
You can sign -up for as many weeks as you would like. To register, contact Rebekah Cunningham, RECESS Program Manager, at: email@example.com, or 864.679.9622 Ext. 0126.