We are excited to be counting down the days until Thanksgiving! For some, this time is filled with excitement about gathering with friends and family. For some, it can be a reminder of relational challenges or a grief initiator. Still others may battle finding the positive in the hustle and bustle.
As we enter into the 2019 holiday season, remember these key steps for investing in your mental health.
- Make a plan and stick to it. Whether you love a paper calendar or digital is more your thing, get organized and set aside a time to review your week’s agenda with your family.
- Be realistic! Consider the events that bring life to you and your family and plan accordingly. The best part of the holiday season is spending time with those who make you happy, and this is so much more important than making sure everything reaches an unrealistic standard.
- Get active! Did you know that physical activity produces endorphins that can be more effective than antidepressant medication? Build 20-30 minutes into your morning or evening to get your heart rate up and stress level down. Check out the many fun and exciting classes that the Y has to offer or design your own “Turkey Trot.”
- Fuel your mood. Incorporate healthy fats into your meals like coconut oil, avocado and olives. Eat a variety of delicious and nutritious fruits and veggies like roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, pomegranates, and pears. Make sure you get 1-2 cups at each meal.
- Create some quality “Me-time”. Take a bath, grab a cat nap, curl up with some fun reading, enjoy a nice cup of Macha tea and sit by the fire or make a list of things you are thankful for. Your body and mind will thank you.