Summer is here! Are you ready for a week at the beach? What about your kids being out of school for 11 weeks? The Y is here to help you keep your kids safe around the pool, provide fun summer activities all summer long. Here are six things you can do at the Y to prepare for summer.
1. Poolside fun – Pools and summer go together like iced tea and lemon. Three of our locations (The CAine Halter Family Y, Eastside Family Y and the GHS Family Y) have pools for recreation and swim lessons. And now that we're at the beginning of summer, it’s a great idea to introduce or re-introduce everyone in the family to water safety. This spring, we introduced a new swim lesson format that makes it easier for your family to plan for, and it’s showing that our swimmers are retaining more info. Win-Win! Registration is open now for the next session. Find your level here.
2. Secure childcare for summer – If you’re a working parent, you know the importance of having childcare available during the summer months. You want your kids to have fun, but you also want them in a safe environment. The Y has you covered with day camp. Browse the brochure online here to find out more. But don't wait. Space is limited and filling up fast!
3. Make summer memorable – Day Camp is awesome, and our day campers love it. But if you really want to take summer up a notch, you can add a week or more of overnight camp at Y Camp Greenville. Cory Harrison’s team has taken the Camp Greenville experience from great to magical. Find out more at campgreenville.org.
4. Get a head start on next school year – You know those parents that just always seem to have it together? They are never frazzled and don’t have pretzel crumbs rolling around in the back seat of their car? Yeah. We’ve actually never met them either. But you can take a giant step in that direction by getting ahead of the game and signing up for Afterschool for the 2017-18 school year. You can do that at any YMCA of Greenville member services desk. You can find out more about afterschool here.
5. Enjoy sports as a family – There are a lot of youth sports opportunities over the next few months. In July, there’s baseball, T-ball, softball, and basketball. Registration is open now. Click your sport to sign up online or come by any Y location! Sports at the Y are great because it gives kids the opportunity to play and interact with other kids, but it also gives families time to participate in activities together. If you want to 2X that activity, we’re always looking for volunteer coaches. Let us know if you’re interested in being a coach.
6. Save money doing all of it – When you’re a Y member, you get discounted rates and priority registration on Y programs. So you can save money doing all of the above by being a Y member. And when you bring a friend to join, you both can save even more money by being a part of the Better Together program. Find out more here.