The YMCA of Greenville offers Amercian Red Cross lifeguarding certification courses, and recertification opportunities throughout the calendar year.
-Candidates must be 15 years of age at the beginning of class. A government-issued identification is required to provide proof of age.
Must be able to perform the following skills at the pre-course session:
-300 yard continuous swim demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
-Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back on your back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using the ladder or steps, within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
1. Attendance is to all classes is mandatory. If participant cannot make all class times, the participant does not pass the course. There are no exceptions and no refunds. Please double check dates and times prior to registration.
2. Active participation in all class sessions.
3. Demonstrate competency in all required skills.
4. Demonstrate competency in three final scenarios.
5. Correctly answer at least 80% of the questions on both written exams.
What to bring to class:
Lifeguard certifications are good for two years.
Full certification course pricing:
YMCA Members: $175
Need to Recertify?
Recertification course pricing:
YMCA Members: $100
Lifeguard Recertification class requirements:
- You must be registered for the course before your certification expires.
- You must finish the course within 30 days of expiration.
- You cannot lifeguard during the time your certification is expired.
Upcoming Recertification Courses:
If you're looking for a job as a lifeguard, review current openings and submit your application on our Employment page!