The YMCA of Greenville Soccer Program helps kids become not only better soccer players, but better people as well. It's a progressive program, with multiple age-specific levels. Every participant gets to play and the games are safe, exciting and fun. We encourage fair play, positive competition, and family involvement. Soccer is an exciting sport combining team play and individual skills.
We realize that so much in our world has changed since COVID-19. We’ve been consulting with state and local health officials to ensure that our players, parents and coaches will have a fun, safe experience this season. In order to do this, we encourage the support of all our families to ensure this is one of our best seasons yet! We have a few precautions in place that we ask all of our soccer volunteers, spectators, and players to follow. Read more below or watch the message from our Y Sports Team!
Soccer This Fall
- Stay home or keep your child home if you are sick, especially during times of a fever of 100 or more. Please make sure that you and your child are fever free (without the aid of medication) for 72 hrs before participating in community events. If you or a family member has knowingly been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 and have not been tested the CDC guidelines are to self quarantine for 14 days.
- We will require all YMCA staff and players to meet the health screening criteria below. Please review the information below before attending practices and games. If you or your child are considered confirmed or high risk your child cannot participate in Soccer activities until cleared with a negative test or after the self-quarantined timeframe.
CONFIRMED - Diagnosed with COVID-19
HIGH RISK - Quarantined in relation to COVID-19. Showing any symptoms related to COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath). Living in the same household or providing care for a person with symptomatic laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 infection.
- We ask that all players, parents, referees, and coaches wear a mask to and from the field for practices and games. Players will not have to wear mask during practices or games. We do ask that mask are worn during team huddles or times when social distancing is not possible. Coaches are asked to wear them during practices and games. Spectators are encouraged to wear them on the sidelines while in attendance for practice and games.
- Spectators during practices and games will be asked to be limited to immediate family when possible. We value family and understand there may be times our extended family and friends would like to attend. This is in an effort to limit the size of crowds and reduce the number of participants on the fields.
- Only coach(es) and players are allowed to be on team side area on field for games. We will promote social distancing among team members (keep 6 ft apart) when possible.
- Fans are asked to bring their own chairs. Fans/spectators should keep six (6) feet of social distancing between different household units. Fans/spectators must be on opposite side of field from players/teams.
- During games, soccer team huddles should do best to promote social distance with spacing between players.
- Between games the game ball will be sprayed with disinfectant or exchanged out with a new ball.
- Goalie Pennies will not be provided this year to limit sharing of used pennies. Coaches should have players bring a white shirt they can put on over jersey if they are going to play goalie.
- After games there will be no handshake line or any physical interaction with opposing teams. Suggest teams wave or clap to opposing team to congratulate good play and sportsmanship. No team meetings/gathering on field after games. All players/coaches please exit field in timely manner in order for next teams to be allowed into team side area (exception: double header on field).
- Next teams scheduled please arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to game time and wait for previous teams to exit team side area before entering. Next fans/spectators scheduled should remain in or near their vehicle until previous game participates/fans have left fan/spectator side area. Next games please follow the guidelines listed above on location of players and fans/spectators.
- There will be hand sanitizer provided at each field for players to use. It is recommended that each child wash their hands and/or sanitize prior to attending practices or games.
- Players must not share drinks and/or food. Group team snacks are not allowed this season.
- YMCA Staff will be onsite to make sure that the policy guidelines are followed and help answer questions or give instructions.