The YMCA of Greenville provides many opportunities to become a certified lifeguard. Lifeguarding is a rewarding and very important job that gives valuable work experience and opens the door to other job opportunities at the YMCA and beyond! The Y certifies lifeguards using the American Red Cross curriculum.
Full Certification Course
*Lifeguard Recertification Class Requirements
- You must be registered for the course before your certification expires.
- You must finish the course within 30 days of expiration.
- You cannot lifeguard during the time your certification is expired.
1. Candidates must be 15 years of age by the end of the lifeguard course. A government-issued identification is required to provide proof of age.
2. Must be able to perform the following skills at the pre-course session:
300 yard continuous swim demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back on your back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using the ladder or steps, within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
1. Attendance is to all classes is mandatory. If participant cannot make all class times, the participant does not pass the course. There are no exceptions and no refunds. Please double check dates and times prior to registration.
2. Active participation in all class sessions.
3. Demonstrate competency in all required skills.
4. Must demonstrate the necessary maturity and professionalism required of a lifeguard.
5. Demonstrate competency in three final scenarios.
6. Correctly answer at least 80% of the questions on both written exams.
What to bring to class:
- Suitable swim suit, towel, and change of clothes