RECESS (Recreation, Education, Community, Exercise, Social and Service) is a signature program of The YMCA of Greenville for post-high school adults with diverse abilities. During programming, participants learn about nutrition, fitness, social responsibility, community outreach, and independent living skills. RECESS allows adults with diverse abilities not only a place to continue to learn new skills, but also gives them a place to connect with friends and gain a sense of belonging.
Participants with a financial need are encouraged to request financial assistance for any portion of the program fee that is not affordable. Download the request form and we will work to help you.
LOCATION: All in-person classes will be held at Christian Assembly Upstate (2164 Wade Hampton Blvd.) We will not offer programming on-site at YMCA locations.
COST: $25 per week (includes 1 in-person, and 1 virtual session each week).
- 1 In-Person session per week - Monday or Wednesday
- 1 Virtual session per week - Friday exercise class through Zoom
- In-Person: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Virtual: 10:45am-11:30am
SESSION DATES FOR 2021:
- Spring: January 11 - May 7 (16 weeks)
- Fall: September 13 - December 17 (13 weeks)
- All participants and staff will have their temperature taken upon arrival each day, and will complete a health screening questionnaire. Temperatures must be under 100.4 to enter the facility.
- We ask that all participants and staff wear masks.
- Group activities will be modified to respect social distancing standards.
- Classes will consist of a maximum of 12 participants and 2 staff, in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Participants will not share supplies during activities.
- Participants and staff will wash their hands routinely throughout the day.
- During drop-off and pick-up, we ask that parents remain in their vehicles and refrain from entering the building.
- If you need to pick up a participant early, please make prior arrangements with Rebekah Cunningham so staff are prepared.
***We ask that parents keep us informed if their participant has potentially been exposed to the virus, begins to exhibit symptoms, or tests positive for COVID-19.***